Friday, April 24, 2009

BEST FRIENDS

How many of you have some kind of pet? Alright; now how many of you consider them more then just a pet?

For me my horses are much more than just an animal or pet. I’ve been known to describe them as my best friends on many occasions. The nice thing about having a horse as a friend is that you can always count on them to be there for you. I know that might sound silly but they are very loyal. Hopefully everyone has had a chance at some point in time to connect with an animal because they truly are the most loyal creatures to be around.

I think the relationship I have with my horses helps me compete at the level I do. Ever since I became old enough to compete in big time rodeos I’ve been a top contender. My horse George is known through out the northwest for being a kick butt barrel horse and my colt Roscoe is well on his way to being just as well known. If it weren’t for George and his enormous heart I might not have stuck with rodeo through out high school. I had to do a lot of decision making in my teenage years between rodeo and parties. Thankfully, because of George, I chose rodeo and ever since then I’ve developed a relationship with horses that has helped me train and compete at a high level. Having a passion like barrel racing definitely kept me on the right track.

In the sport of barrel racing it is very important to develop a relationship with your horse. It is a partner event and if you don’t have a good relationship with your horse it’s impossible to work together. Horses definitely have a mind of their own and if it clashes with their owner then the outcome can be disastrous. I’ve known a lot of people who don’t necessarily like their horse or never attempt to form a relationship and because of this they never make it to the top. Did you ever think the correlation between a rider and horse was so important in barrel racing? Not many people see this side of the sport but it is a necessity.


3 comments:

  1. I think trust is huge factor in these relationships. The animal, or horse in this case, has to trust its caregiver and visa versa.

    What upsets me is when I hear of, or see those that don't appreciate their animals. I used to work in veterinary and would see all kinds of abuse and neglect. It breaks my heart, because I agree that animals can provide amazing companionship.

    On the flip side, I would also see those that cared deeply for their furry (or hairy) friends. We had a blind gentleman than would come in with his seeing-eye dog. Their bond was amazing to observe. The trust was so tangible and you could see it in the dog's eyes that she really, truely cared for her owner. He never so much as raised his voice to her and she always was right by his side to guide him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for agreeing with me. I’m a huge animal lover and sometimes I feel like a big weirdo because I love them so much but they really do provide the best companionship. I can’t stand it when people neglect their animals. I like to watch that cop show on Animal Planet but at the same time it breaks my heart so much that I can’t really stand to watch it. I don’t understand why people feel the need to starve or beat their animals. If they don’t want them or can’t take care of them they should just give them away to someone that will take care of them. That’s really cool about the seeing-eye dog. In that situation it’s seriously necessary to develop a relationship and be able to trust the animal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra,

    Your connection with rodeo, and especially with your horse, definitely does not make you a weirdo. It is something you love and are passionate about. A lot of people think I'm a weirdo because I like writing and teaching so much! I just let it roll off my back because I'm doing something I love!

    ReplyDelete